Monday, May 27, 2013

In Pursuit of an Almond Croissant


A thought came into my head on Wednesday morning while I was riding the bus into work, “I’m hungry for an almond croissant.”  I could taste the flaky, buttery, sweet, freshly baked goodness of my favorite pastry. As soon as I got off the bus I made a beeline for Pegasus Coffee, where I knew they carried an authentic version.  Alas, they had already run out of their supply at 8:30 in the morning.  Seeing my dejection, the server offered up a chocolate croissant, which I quickly rejected.  It was almond or nothing.


The thought of an almond croissant stayed with me as I went grocery shopping on Thursday, but there were none at Panera, Safeway or QFC, not even in the frozen food section. I tried Pegasus again on Friday morning, no luck. On Saturday I went for a walk with a friend and we stopped into a new bakery, but again, no almond croissants.

On Sunday afternoon, during another walk with a friend, I told her about my plan to have an almond croissant with my morning coffee on Memorial Day – that would simply make my weekend.  We stopped by my favorite bakery in Bellevue.  I was salivating as I looked over the rows and rows of croissants at Belle Pastry.  But to my dismay, they were all out of the coveted item.  Even though there were many other delicious pastries, my heart was set on that almond croissant, no substitute would do.

Later in the evening, I went online to research other places that might carry the treasure I was craving.  From my research it appeared that my options were few, unless I was willing to drive to Trader Joe’s on Monday to get a frozen version that I could bake at home, in hopes that by Tuesday morning my dream would be fulfilled. I told myself that this was stupid, wasting all this time searching for the elusive delicacy.

Yet where did I find myself this morning?  I was back in line at Belle Pastry for yet another fruitless wait. I was so desperate that I drove around to all the other places that I had tried earlier in the week, each time leaving more disappointed than ever.  In desperation for something to go with my morning coffee, I finally purchased an apple-filled croissant at QFC in hopes that it would satisfy my craving.  It didn’t and I’m still craving the real thing.

Sitting here now, sipping on a cup of assam tea and reflecting back on my quest for the elusive almond croissant, I am mortified at how far I was willing to go for something so temporal. What a waste of time and energy, only to end up with an unfulfilling substitute for my craving.

Of course, the practical application to my spiritual life was patently obvious. Do I pursue God in the same way I pursued that croissant; do I hunger after Him?  Do I wake up every morning craving time with him, or imagining what it will be like to taste of his presence? Do I go out of my way to plan God into my day, to talk about him with friends, or to look for him throughout the day?  

And how often to I accept a lesser fulfilling substitute for time with him – like listening to a catchy worship song on my iPhone as I walk to the bus, reading a quick email devotional during the commute, or even reading a chapter from an inspirational Christian book? How many times to I turn to the wisdom of earthly teachers, rather than the wisdom that comes from God?

Now none of these things are bad in and of themselves.  But just like the tasty apple-filled croissant from QFC didn’t really satisfy my deepest craving, neither do the lesser spiritual substitutes fulfill my craving for God and the wisdom that comes from him alone.  I will always be disappointed unless I fill myself with the “real thing.”

Oh taste and see that the LORD is good!  Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him! The young lions suffer want and hunger, but those who seek the LORD lack no good thing. (PS 34:8 and 10)

How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! (PS 119:103)

My son, eat honey, for it is good, and the drippings of the honeycomb are sweet to your taste.  Know that wisdom is such to your soul; if you find it, there will be a future, and your hope will not be cut off.” (Prov. 24:13)

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied. (Matt. 5:6)

What is the lesson I learned today?  Don't accept any substitutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment